Medina Sidonia, medieval and Andalusian village
Somewhat off the road between Algeciras and Jerez de la Frontera, on a hill overlooking the castle built on the ruins of the Moorish alcazar, white houses shining in the sun, Medina Sidonia has lost none of its medieval charm.
Founded by the Phoenicians, it passed into the hands of the Romans and then the Muslims before joining the seigneury of the Dukes of Medina Sidonia in the mid-15th century.
The rich cultural and architectural past of this village of 11,780 inhabitants has earned it the title of “Historic Complex” and the Andalusian village beautification prize.
Among its legacies of the past, medieval arches such as the Arc de la Pastora or the 10th century Gothic Gothic arch.
The parish church Mayor Santa Maria la Coronada of the 16th century, with its mixture of Gothic and Plateresque styles, and the convent of San Crístobal, is one of its religious architecture.
As for the Hermitage of the Santos Mártires, dating from the beginning of the 5th century and rebuilt in the 7th century, it is the oldest Visigothic art vestige in Andalusia.
Nowadays with its six “ganaderías”, the breeding of fighting bulls of the “retinta” breed, in the sixty years of the province of Cadiz, Medina Sidonia has become one of the most important places on the bull route from Jerez de la Frontera to Tarifa.
Don’t miss, for meat lovers, the ventas, these farmhouses where you can taste the meat of bulls raised in a totally natural way.
Calle San Juan next to Plaza de Abastos.
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday from 10:30 am to 2 pm and then from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm in summer.
Iglesia Mayor Santa María la Coronada
Plaza Iglesia Mayor.
Opening hours: from 10 am to 2 pm then from 4 pm to 7.30 pm, 6.30 pm during the winter – Admission: 2.50 €.
Hermitage of los Mártires
Lugar Los Santos. Carretera A2235. A bit far to the southwest of downtown.
Opening hours: currently under review, usually Fridays and Saturdays from 12 noon to 3 pm. Free admission and donation accepted.
Medina Sidonia Castle, El Castillo, Medina Sidonia
Situated at an altitude of 300 m at the top of Cerro del Castillo, it overlooks the city and the plain. El Castillo was built by Moors in the 10th century on the ruins of an ancient Roman fortress.
The most visible remains are the remains of the castle designed by Enrique Pérez de Guzman, Duke of Medina Sidonia in the 15th century. The square was surrounded by a 60-metre-long wall dominated by six rectangular turrets. In ruins, it is still possible to visit it.
Access to Medina Sidonia: along the A 381 axis linking Algeciras to Jerez de la Frontera. From Cádiz to the northwest by CA-33 and A-390. By bus: several daily connections to Cadiz with Comes.
Aerial views of Medina Sidonia
Day of celebration
Tourist report – in Spanish
Granada, more than 560 hotels
More than 860 hotels in Seville
More than 500 hotels
More than 1200 hotels
More than 1200 hotels
5,500 hotels in Province of Malaga